Followers

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Mountbatten Bungalow - A Colonial holiday facing the hills of Hanthana

 

Covid has made travelling almost impossible for myself, I guess it is the same with most of you. I have been trying to get away somewhere mountains being out of reach due to high constraints, decided to look for hotels that I can settle into. As the interprovincial restrictions are in place, only option I had was to visit a hotel in the central province. With the help of my friend Gayathra I got an offer to visit Mountbatten hotel.

Let me give an introduction about the hotel first.

The Bungalow:

Mountbatten Bungalow is a part of the theme resorts chain. It is situated in Hanthana.  It was once t he residence of Lord Mountbatten whom even I was not aware of till I visited the place. It is a colonial bungalow still having the colonial majesty. The hotel is now modernized and equipped with all the modern facilities including a small swimming pool which a like an infinity pool facing Hanthana. There are bungalow rooms, including the suits and the newly constructed garden chalets. There is a big garden with flowers, trees, grass that is soothing for the eyes and a wonderful place to relax for families and ample rooms for the kids to play. From Kandy you must take the Heeressagala road and pass the Amaya Hill hotel to reach the bungalow. Anyone climbing Hanthana will not the place on the way.



Lord Mountbatten:



Lord Mountbatten was the last viceroy of India. In this role, he was the chosen representative of King George VI, empowered to govern on his behalf in the then British colony. The then British Premier Winston Churchill appointed Naval Officer Louis Mountbatten as the Commander of the SEAC Headquarters at the newly created headquarters on October 27, 1941. Mountbatten was born in Vienna Austria, which was then known as Battenberg. He was a grandson of Queen Victoria and a second cousin of King George V. Mountbatten commanded the war to victory from the Dumbara soil of our country. If an atomic bomb was dropped like in Hiroshima or Nagasaki today this story would be different. The devastation caused in these places could be seen even today with the charred dead bodies now seen in their museums.


Lord Mountbatten while in Sri Lanka, stayed in many places; in Kundasale, Polgolla and Peradeniya and other secured places, overseeing operations. The Chief Commanding Officer was General William Slim who was also the Commanding Officer of the Fourth Regiment.

My Stay:

I chose a garden chalet and made a half board booking. When I reached the hotel there was one family who have occupied the Bungalow room, but they were about to leave. I had to wait till my room was ready.  On the day it was only me (except for the hotel staff) and I had the hotel for myself.





The chalet was beautifully built entirely of wood. It is spacious for two, but I do not think would best fits a family. It had a queen size very comfortable bed. Bathroom with a bathtub. All glassware were there in the room, so I do not have to ask for anything. The room was sanitized, and all linen were fresh. Hot water and television were there with Dialog connection. The room was air-conditioned. It also had a balcony but outside was not that pretty as it was opposite to Hanthana mountain view and there were people gardening and working down. But it was a good place to lay down and have a drink reading a book.

The pool was small, but I liked it. When you go to the deep end you are facing the Hanthana mountains. There were pool chairs but with a many people I think it would be bit crowded. Next to the pool was the spa (Which was not in operation) and a small deck where people can have a nice drink. I guess the garden was not in full bloom as landscaping was ongoing and there were not many flowers to be seen.








The reception was inside the bungalow. It was mainly white and outside the gutters were fitted with hanging flowerpots. The sitting area had cozy sofas and a good fireplace. I was able to peep into the rooms inside and they were furnished with poster beds with colonial style set up. But the bathrooms were equipped with modern fittings. The walls were decorated with portraits, maps, paintings. The dining area was simple but elegant. There were candle posts and stylish lightings giving it the grandeur of a colonial mansion. I loved the corridor like walkway that extended from the sitting room to the back of the bungalow which was carpeted.










 

Food:

As I mentioned, I went on half board basis. It was a 3 course set menu. I had a choice of 3 for the mains. Food was well presented and tasty. For the breakfast I had the choice of a Sri Lankan and an English one. As I was the only guest, I had to stick to the menu that was given. I can’t make many comments due to the prevailing set up, but I had nothing to complaint.





Staff:

Mostly a young crowd. I was greeted well. Again, as I was the only guest, I had the full attention when it came to dining and reception. I was given to freedom to do what I want, and even to check out at my own convenience. There were few working in the garden and making repairs to the rooms. The main staff was dressed in a sarong and a kamis in the colonial butler type of outfit.

My experience:

I can’t give a detailed review as I was the only guest, and I went in during the Covid times. But in general, it is a good place for a family to go and relax away from the city. Even couples would enjoy it but in terms of privacy there will not be much of a freedom. Would be ideal for garden parties or to organize a picnic. Definitely a place to visit if you like the colonial style of living. Make sure you enjoy the evening breeze sipping a glass of wine or drinking a cup of tea/coffee.



I spent some time reading by the pool and also immersed in the bathtub sipping wine. The room was so comfortable that I did not want to go out much. I was either tucked in the bed or in the balcony reading. Luckily there was no one around so I could be as free as possible inside the room and the balcony. I loved the view in the evening from the pool where the mountains were beginning to be covered with the mist. The air was so refreshing and the breeze easily takes one's weariness away. 





 I would come back for sure with my family to enjoy the place live with its grace and majesty once it is in full operation.





1 comment:

  1. That is most certainly a beautiful place -- but how does it manage to stay open with so few guests? I am just now making my way through all your posts and really enjoy your photography. It's nice to see someone who is always happy and smiling -- a real pick-me-up. All the best from a Canadian.

    ReplyDelete

Mountbatten Bungalow - A Colonial holiday facing the hills of Hanthana

  Covid has made travelling almost impossible for myself, I guess it is the same with most of you. I have been trying to get away somewhere ...