Followers

Saturday, January 12, 2019

Flying without Wings - First Tandem Sky Diving Experience Koggala

Have you ever wondered at a bird flying and wish that one day you can too. The wish to feel that freedom, that grandeur, that feeling of being high, that birds eye view from the top. What if you too can fly or rather fall from 12000 feet...A free fall under gravity...Two minutes that can turn your vision, two minutes that turns your life around, two minutes that you wish would last forever, two minutes that keeps you apart from the rest, making you proud about yourself for doing something that many would be reluctant to do, many would hesitate to challenge...Even after almost a month in the middle of the night when I am writing the blog about that two minutes of my life that gave my life a new perspective, I can still see the view, I can still feel the excitement, I can still feel the thrill and excitement, I can still feel that fall from the sky. Yes I did my first tandem sky dive...and I hope that this post will give the same experience that I had.

Sky Diving was in my bucket list for a long time. Sky fever was first organized in Sri Lanka about two years back and although I wanted to do it, I did not have the money required to try it. I saw many people doing it then, even some of my friends. I was awed but had to give up the idea as it was not affordable at that time.

This year too I had seen the Sky Fever advertisement being broad casted and shared in Social media. Looking at videos of various people diving into the sky and having a time of their life actually awoke my adrenaline rush but as I have spent quite a lot of money on Kilimanjaro trip and was planning a Bali tour, I was not fully comfortable to spend such a lot of money on skydiving. So I was procrastinating on Skydiving for next time when out of nowhere there came a call to my phone saying "Ayya I am Salith. Hope you can remember we went on a hike with Awidinno" I didn't have his number saved but I remember him. He was a malli that I met during the waterfall hunt with Awidinno few years back. How can you forget someone so muscular, handsome and was always taking photos with a selfie stick posing with muscular movements throughout the journey. In fact he has contacted me some times before to get some information of few places I have visited.

So I thought this was also for something like that. But that call completely changed my life. He said that sky club is offering a special discount for introducing a friend so that the cost would be reduced by around Rs 20000 which was significant. I don't know what made him think about me. But for some reason this gave me a reason to consider the option of a tandom sky diving experience. Was Salith an angel sent, to grant my wishes..maybe..But I didn't give him an answer and I asked him to wait for a couple of days and in fact told him that if he find someone to go ahead with it. The only day that was available was Sunday and if there's  a slot available there was a possibility of doing it. I had Kehelpaddoruwa hike planned for Saturday and I was not sure whether I would be able to do it. But something told me that this was either now or never. So I took a call to Salith still having doubts and wondering whether he had given the opportunity to someone else. He was at Koggala about to Jump. Luckily he couldn't find anyone and he was more than happy to talk with the organizers to check for a spot. As happy goes lucky, everything happened for my favour. The spot was there Sunday early morning. So i made the payment and Salith had just done his jump and was describing the experience which created an excitement that made me definitely want to do it.

I met most of my old Awidinno colleagues on the Kehelpaddoruwa hike which fell on Saturday. The big day was on Sunday. I wanted to keep this as a secret. So I never uttered a word to anyone on the big adventure I was about to take.

On Sunday morning I left home around 5a.m. to catch the first highway bus to Galle. I didn't utter a word to my parents or my sister as I knew they would feel upset. So I came to Galle and took a bus to Koggala. I actually got down about a halt away from the Air force base and I had to walk all the way back to the air force base and I was just in time for the slot. After filling the forms and making the balance payment I had to face a medical where they checked my pressure. It was too high, either due to my walking or due to the excitement. I told the Doctor that it could be due to long walking and convinced him to say ok and fit to jump. That was a narrow escape..phew..I was to jump even if I was to die on the way..
The hardest thing was to wait. Then the chief instructor came and gave us the general briefing. I was to get a video coverage but through a hand cam. If I wanted a better video where another actually jump just to shoot the video we have to pay an extra amount. I was happy with the hand cam and was waiting for my turn impatiently.

The jump was done in pairs. As the aircraft could only accommodate five passengers at a time only. I did not get the first turn. So i waited watching the first pair go to make the jump.

I honestly do not know whether I was sacred. I was definitely excited. When my turn came my instructor asked me to show the different positions that we were to take. He wad cracking jokes all the way ..being half drunk the previous night..After buckling and belting me with all safety we walked towards the aircraft that was waiting to take us 12000 feet high. The pilot greeted us with a cute, warm smile. My instructor was videoing me all alone. My adrenaline rush reached the climax when I entered and sit on the aircraft may be the sound of the motor agitated the feeling. My instructor was right behind me securely attaching me to himself through all the harnesses. Maybe the closeness, warmth and his easy going nature calmed me down. The other was a girl who ordered the full video.

When the aircraft lifted and we were flying above we could see the entire ground below. The blue sea, the lush green awed and mesmerized me. That view was so breathtaking that it calmed me. Unlike in a airplane here you could actually feel the wind from above. We flew for about 20 minutes before we were to jump out. While I was gazing at the view below, I was waken by my instructor saying it's the time. 12000 feet and I was about to jump out into thin air. My whole life vested on the person behind me, a complete stranger and the parachute which was to carry the weight if both..I had to completely trust and rely on him. So the girl jumped and it wad our turn. I can still feel the excitement while I write this. We were on the edge of the open door. My feet behind the bar. He asked me to lean on his shoulder. One, two, three..and off we went..rather dived...into the air..

Was I flying..? Is this what it feels to be flying? We were falling under gravity with no parachute for almost a minute. I was to put my arms forward..I in fact assumed a different position but my instructor corrected me. Then he opened the parachute and gave me the control of the threads and showed me how to rotate. This was the moment where I could see the world below...I was a hawk looking from above through its sharp eyes..It was once in a lifetime view. I have seen many a views, from a many summits..but this was something totally different...totally cool..It was as if the whole world came to a standstill.There was no sense of passage of time. That two minutes passed unnoticed. And I was moving the thread right and left getting a good view from the above. My instructor constantly pinpointed at things to look at. It was so comfortable having him behind. No fears.

I was superman...without the cape and underwear under my pants...I could feel the wind hitting my ear drums. Then my instructor took control and we started descending and getting ready for the landing.

As we drew near, I had to raise my legs and he took the control..and swish we landed like s plane ..and bump bump..we were on our bums...And that was it..end of a wonderful and memorable flight...I was feeling triumphant..joyous..majestic..like Royalty..And I did it..we hugged each other and my instructor congratulated me for a successful sky dive...and he in fact said when he handed the certificate "you are a wonderful man.." and I blushed....

And from the base back to home was the longest ride ever..I was too excited to update on Facebook. ..so as soon as I came I uploaded a picture as a cover pic...likes, loves, wows and comments were throwing from everywhere..I in fact showed the video to my parents..and it was a whole chapter of a drama...

Even when I went to office everyone was excited and congratulated me...

This is how it ended. It still feels as if it was a dream..a dream that came true...I know we all have dreams..Sometimes it is not possible to fulfill all ..may due to lack of time, money, strength, courage...But you can always try..who knows..miracles might happen..paths that were not known and open may become visible..there could be angles that come along the way....that push you towards your dreams...you should be courageous and smart enough to have an open eye and grab those rear chances...

Believe me..when that happens..you will be flying without wings...

Click on the link below for the video























https://youtu.be/YGPaqqgQbCI

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mountbatten Bungalow - A Colonial holiday facing the hills of Hanthana

  Covid has made travelling almost impossible for myself, I guess it is the same with most of you. I have been trying to get away somewhere ...