Followers

Thursday, December 20, 2018

How it all began....first ever Hike to Adarakanda

When I look back at it it feels like a life time...How I started my travels..This was way back in 2014. I have just started work at Hayleys. I had seen many people travelling before and got fascinated by the idea. But I never got to do it on my own. None of my friends were interested in hiking. Unlike today there were no groups, pages dedicated to travel. Travelling was only done by few...One of the sites that was there was Lakdasun. 

I used to read the posts and got fascinated by the pictures that were shared by different members. That was where I decided to put a post searching for a travel buddy. As I was normally shy and more introvert in nature, it was not easy to directly contact people. No responses were there for sometime. But all of a sudden I got a message from one guy. He said that his name is Kawshika and he like the idea of travel. To my surprise he was one year junior to me at my school. I remembered him. So we started chatting and was planning to do a hike on our own. Both of us were novices, knew nothing about hiking. Kawshika had a cousin who was a hardcore hiker. So he obtained basic information that would helped us to do the hike.

Finding a place was a difficult task as this was our first and we were inexperienced. Then Kawshika suggested going to Adara Kanda where his brother also had visited from the university. I agreed and we planned  the tour. Since Kawshika got most of the information from his brother it was easier. 

I still remember the experience. It was sunny. We were travelling while sweating. There was no one except the two of us. Kawshika took off his shirt as it was too sweating and unbearable. Both of us were panting as we have not hiked before. Both of us were scared too. We wanted to come down before it was getting too late. So we only went half way without going to the top and came down soon.  As a result I had to revisit Adara Kanda that time with another friend Lanka who was in fact a friend of Kawshika.

We didn't have sophisticated cameras or phones. You can see the from the quality of the photos itself that they were captured from basic phones. Both of us were just starting our carriers without a proper income. But we knew that this was something that both of us wanted to pursue. When we stripped off to have a bath in a surrounding stream we felt the nature, the freshness that quenched our tiredness. In fact the view gave us stimulation and indeed this hike definitely made the starting of wonderful journeys that we have made individually and together. 

That was the first time that I felt so free. The surrounding was so calm. There was a small temple kind of a place closed by (This was later destroyed by a landslide killing a monk). The stream was so fresh and I wish I was naked but since Kawshika was not altogether in support  of the ideas and as there was a temple near I had to give up on that. 

This gave us an opportunity to get to know each other and specially a side of both of us which we never knew before. I guess this is what travelling does. Kawshika who was just a face during my school days became a brother today. He is happily married and I still remember how concerned he was during that hike about getting a good girl who would share the same passions that he have about nature and adventure. I think that he found the perfect partner finally.

Guess all of us have to start somewhere. We all have inner callings. It is up to us either to listen to them and take action or simply ignore. I am glad that I answered the call and forever I am grateful to Kawshika who gave me that boost for a wonderful start that made me come this far. 

I do like to hear about your beginnings of your adventures too..please feel free to comment and do not forget to follow. Until I meet you all with another post....adios...













2 comments:

  1. Thanks bro for refreshing beautiful memories.. I still remember how we planned our 1st hike together. You have not forgotten how i described my dream girl those days. time has passed and i found the one who is far better than i thought i could find.. no matter what changes would happend in our lifes, we will continue our adventure hikes through beautiful plains, hard rocks, heavy winds, misty mountains and dark forests forever...

    ReplyDelete

Mountbatten Bungalow - A Colonial holiday facing the hills of Hanthana

  Covid has made travelling almost impossible for myself, I guess it is the same with most of you. I have been trying to get away somewhere ...