Followers

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

How I became a traveller?

I was never a person like this during my younger days. Except for the trips that my mother and father use to take me and my sister, I have never stepped out of home. I was a boy studious, well disciplined, a person who was loved by parents, sister, relatives, teachers and friends. I studied at D S Senanayake College Colombo. I actually wanted to be a doctor and most of my teachers and others believed that I could become one. My universe was studies and I was surrounded by books.




I never had the intention or  the slightest idea of becoming a traveller or any sort. Sports was not my thing except for swimming  that I learnt during my school days which I think was the wisest and the most important thing that I learnt so far. guess I had a liking for water from my small days.




I was not an athlete. I was healthy but chubby. I used to cut my physical training classes with lame excuses. I can still remember that during every school vacation my father used to take us somewhere. As he was working for the internal audit at the Petroleum Corporation, we had the opportunity to stay at the circuit bungalows there. I never did scouting or cadet ting (I wish I had now). The only activity that I did for the sports meet was the drill and the march past.


After my AL's as I couldn't do medicine, I entered the University of Peradeniya (As I always wanted) to follow a degree in Agriculture Technology and Management. I guess that this was the turning point in my life. I was away from home with a bunch of strangers. I became more independent. I stayed in hostels, faced ragging, met new people. This was an entire new experience for me. I had to work in the field, wash and iron my clothes, share my room. I was more free and I kind of enjoyed that life I lead.


Even though I had the freedom, still I was bound a little with my studies. I knew I had to get a good grade if I am to secure a good job. But whenever I had time, I used to travel with my friends specially as they came from different corners of the country.  This was where I first got my exposure to travelling in public transport, staying at homes of my friends, even sleeping in bus stands or where ever while being bitten by mosquitoes.


Not until I left University and found my second job at Hayleys (Which I think made my carrier more stable) that I found the freedom to walk freely. I guess the passion to travel was always there within me but it never found an escape route due to my other commitments.


I have come a long way ever since. I have been to most of the places in Sri Lanka, climbed many a mountains, bathed in rivers, waterfalls, had narrow escapes saving my life. I have even stepped out of Sri Lanka and been to countries engaging in travel and journeys that I never thought I would be doing.


My school friends and University friends are awed and thrilled by what I have done and doing right now. Even I never knew that I would have the endurance and the capacity to do the things that I do. I used to be afraid of heights still I am. But I have climbed most difficult mountains. I was very shy not even able to remove my shirt in front of anyone else. But now I am all for nudism. I have never stepped out of my comfort zone. But today I have slept in jungles, jumped out of planes, climbed mountains in snow.


When I look back at this, even I am surprised by what I have accomplished. I guess we all have that desire and potential of becoming and doing things that we always wanted or meant to do. There's a still long way for me to go, to roam around the world searching for beauty, adventure. Guess this is just the beginning. I travel with friends, groups, family, strangers and even solo. It could be a mountain, a country, a forest, adventure trip, archaeological site, sailing, boat ride, even any adventure activity. In other words my travel is boundless and limitless in land, sea and even the sky. During my travels I have met many people who were strangers sometimes but who taught me many things in simply about life. I guess I have people following me, appreciating me, encouraging me all over. Guess this is one of the things that travel does to you. You become global. Your perspectives widen. You become simple, down to earth. You become emotional, passionate and responsible. You become to love others, every human, animal and the environment.

One thing for sure. I will not settle for the easy, comfortable life from now on. I will keep on exploring and challenging myself. You will find me in places that you would least expect and doing things that you would not have thought possible sometimes controversial. I will have many stories to tell you all. I hope you all will enjoy reading them and taking the same journey with me.
















14 comments:

  1. This is really nice reading and wishing you to be able to reach more and more beautiful destinations and experience more adventures....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow superb stuff chitha.., wish u all the very best for ur future adventures.tc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, happy to see this side of you. Looks really cool! :) Add more photos, it would be great. Wish you all the very best for more adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aiya,Its very interesting.great one.wish you all the best aiya!☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was amazed about your story when I gothrough this article.Good luck and keep going.May we meet somewhere ,sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice going Chitra. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much of who we are is where we have been.
    Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete

Mountbatten Bungalow - A Colonial holiday facing the hills of Hanthana

  Covid has made travelling almost impossible for myself, I guess it is the same with most of you. I have been trying to get away somewhere ...